Tuesday 3 July 2018

Royal Highland Show 2018 - Cobs, Cobs, Cobs!

 As everyone who knows me will attest to, I love cobs, so when I realised there was a Ridden Show Cob class at the RHS this year my heart leapt!

Ridden Cobs


As far as I know this is the first time this class has appeared at the RHS but hopefully it won't be the last!

Cobs in the UK are a type, not a breed (every time I see 'Gypsy Vanner' given as a breed designation I roll my eyes, lol) s their appearance can vary depending on their heritage, but the best should have 'the head of a lady and the backside of the cook!' 

Workmanlike builds and correct conformation are key, as well as a good temperament, way of going and a lot of 'bone'. Due to their varied parentage they can be any colour so it's often a very vibrant class! They're shown in two ways, either 'Traditional' with all hair left natural (and often the floofier the better) or like here, hogged and clipped as a Show Cob. I prefer the feathery version myself, but there's just something about a good show cob that can't be beaten!

According to the class sheet, this is what is being judged:

'exceeding 148cm , of lightweight, heavy weight or maxi type.
Exhibits should be presented hogged and trimmed.
Class will be judged on performance, conformation and type.
Exhibits will be ridden by the judge.'

IMG_5758

Ridden Cobs

This one struck me immediately as the way the face is greying out really reminded me of Lp/leopard complex but I'm pretty sure it's just a solid greying out around an existing face marking.

Ridden Cobs

Ridden Cobs

Ridden Cobs

Ridden Cobs

This gorgeous bay was an instant fave!

IMG_5775

I always love show cobs in grey and this one was an absolute beaut!

Ridden Cobs

Ridden Cobs

IMG_5784

Chunks! 💓

Ridden Cobs

IMG_5795

Ridden Cobs


Watching them canter past it was easy to see the difference between a nice cob and a Nice Cob.

Ridden Cobs

Some had a lot of oomph but lacked direction, others needed more encouragement to keep going and not to spook at the crowds, while others went like a dream. (shoutout to the speed demon at the end for doing some poor child a concern, lol)

Ridden Cobs

This one was still a little green I thought, and had a few slight spooky moments when going past the crowd.

Ridden Cobs

IMG_5819

 IMG_5834

IMG_5838

IMG_5845


If I were the judge I'd have been torn between this gorgeously chunky creature...


IMG_5823

IMG_5822

Ridden Cobs

 ...this one...

Ridden Cobs

Ridden Cobs

...or this one...

IMG_5858


Ridden Cobs

...although this one would be difficult to beat as well!

IMG_5825

I was rather partial to this enormous chestnut too!

Ridden Cobs

Each rider took their horses round in walk, trot and canter as a group, then individually for the judge. They then dismounted and trotted them up minus saddle before the judge himself got on board and took each horse round. (or the judge rode them, then they were untacked, I can't remember the exact order!)

Ridden Cobs

Ridden Cobs

Ridden Cobs

Ridden Cobs

People who look at cobs as being boring old plods has clearly never had one gallop right past you. The sheer power in each stride is incredible and the sound of those dinnerplate sized feet hitting the ground is really dramatic in person.

Ridden Cobs

Ridden Cobs

Ridden Cobs

Dapples!

Ridden Cobs

Ridden Cobs

Ridden Cobs

Ridden Cobs

Ridden Cobs

Ridden Cobs

Ridden Cobs

Ridden Cobs

Ridden Cobs


Under the judge it was easy to see who would and wouldn't be making the cut.

Ridden Cobs

Ridden Cobs

Ridden Cobs

Some went really well but others, like one of the tobianos, not so much. The one I said was a little green earlier didn't even manage a canter with him on board which pretty much scuppered their chances sadly. I think having the judge ride each horse makes a huge difference in this kind of class as it shows how versatile the horse is with other riders and not just their usual person who may be able to deal with any quirks or bad behaviour.

Ridden Cobs

They were all beautiful, but my money was still on one of the bays.

Ridden Cobs

Ridden Cobs

Ridden Cobs

I hadn't been all that taken with the black cob being ridden, but that changed once I saw him without the saddle.

Ridden Cobs

He really was an excellent stamp of a cob.

Ridden Cobs

Colouration isn't a consideration in the judging process but this one was very nicely marked.

Ridden Cobs

Ridden Cobs

Ridden Cobs

Ridden Cobs

I looked up the results just now and...wow, apparently I have excellent taste in cobs!

The very worthy winner was the decidedly handsome 'Pairc An Faoi Diamond'!

Ridden Cobs

Second place went to 'De Monkey Business' who I can't find a picture of, but he looks almost exactly like the one above, same markings and everything! He's a pure Irish Draught from what I could find of him online.

Third went to the gorgeous 'Johnny Walker', (who I can't find any info on whatsoever as it's all music and whisky according to google! 😂)

IMG_5859

Fourth was 'Randalstown Trademark', who I believe was this lovely specimen. I honestly thought he was a completely different horse as there were several that looked eerily similar but the numbers were different!

Ridden Cobs

Fifth was 'Jumpingdale Marlo' which I probably photographed but I can't find any pictures online, nor can I confirm any of the competitor numbers in my pictures. :(

Sixth was the rather underwhelmingly named 'Henry' who again, I can't find any pictures of.

I'm rather chuffed with my own judgements - perhaps I've found my calling! 


Next up, Cooooooooos!

No comments:

Post a Comment