Tuesday 10 July 2018

Lake District Julip Live 2018!

As will have been pretty obvious for anyone who's read my blog for a long time, I haven't posted much Julip stuff in a while.

Lake District Live 2018

This isn't entirely by choice, but rather that my muse has wandered and affixed itself to my 1/6th scale dolls rather strongly. I still love my little rubber ponies to death, I'm just not really in the mood to do anything with them other than admire them on my shelf right now. On one hand this is incredibly depressing as they've been such a huge part of my creative life for so long, not making tack and stable stuff feels really weird, but on the other, I've still got lots of plans for the future which I fully intend to carry out at some point, so it's not like I've lost interest completely or anything. I still definitely want to make a new stable set as the old wooden ones took up waaaaay too much space and I'd like something a little more custom. I'd also really like to get back into my photostories as I really miss them and I had loads of drama that never actually made it into story form...

Anyway, I digress; you didn't come here to read about my chronic procrastination, did you?

(I mean if you did you're certainly in the right place but that's besides the point...)

Regardless of whether or not I'm in 'the Julip zone', I'm never going to miss out on going to shows and the annual Lake District Live hosted by Stacey and her mum is honestly one of my favourite shows to go to. As with all Julip shows, by it's very nature it's chilled out and great fun, with a really friendly atmosphere. I've been going with my friends Heather and Magda for the last couple of years which has only added to the great holiday roadtrip feel of the whole thing. We usually find a B&B to stay in near the show hall, but this time ended up in lovely Morecambe at the Trevelyan Guesthouse.


Morecambe Bay

I'd never been to Morecambe before and it was exactly as I expected...and not, somehow.

Morecambe Bay

Morecambe Bay

Morecambe Bay

I definitely didn't see the veritable flock of bird sculptures coming!

Morecambe Bay

 Morecambe Bay

These gulls were both adorable and deeply disturbing. I felt like they were staring deep into my soul with those little beady eyes...

Morecambe Bay
'Mine?'

Morecambe Bay

Morecambe Bay

The weather was insanely hot and humid - a far cry from what I'm used to in the generally temperately comfortable Glasgow. As a precaution, we carried all our big crates of Julips up the three flights of stairs to our room in case they melted in the car overnight. (I wish I was joking, but it really felt plausible as WE were practically melting ourselves and we're not made of latex!)
 After all that we went for a wander down the seafront in search of an evening meal, being recommended two places by eager customers on their way out!

Morecambe Bay

I can't remember the name of the place we ended up in but the meal was very well priced (I had a ridiculously tasty BBQ pizza and a drink for the princely sum of £7!) and the pub downstairs had the best decor...

Amazing tiles!

...and an equally excellent view!

Morecambe Bay

By the time we'd finished, we had the entire beach to ourselves and had a really lovely walk through the warm sands, collecting shells and spotting the tiniest of crabs everywhere we went!

Crab!

We even found a whale!

A whale. :P
...or is it a slug?

The sunset was pretty nice too.

Morecambe Bay

Morecambe Bay

Morecambe Bay

Morecambe Bay

Sleep didn't come to me easily as it was just so hot and muggy it was impossible to get comfortable, but I eventually got a couple of hours sleep before we all got up at the crack of dawn to get everything sorted for the show.

We made it to the show hall without a hitch this time, for once not getting lost or waylaid! 

(which, with our track record is something to be proud of!)

Lake District Live 2018

Most of us had arrived at the same kind of time so there was the usual catching up session before we all got on with unpacking and actually starting the show.

At one point Laura made some comment like 'I'd better get the spares out then' and there was this sudden and instantaneous mass migration to her side of the hall, as the contents of the box of goodies were put out on the table for sale. The best way I can describe the spares table rush to someone who hasn't seen it in person, is being rather like when farmers feed sheep in a trough - they sort of follow the bucket of feed as it's poured out along the trough, always with their eye on the latest food to appear. Julip collectors are pretty much exactly like that but with shiny new ponies. πŸ˜‚

I'd told myself (and everyone else) before the show that I wasn't intending to get a horse this time - unless it was something incredible I just couldn't resist - as I was trying to save money, and would instead only be getting pets this time round, probably another cat or some more chickens. 

Absolutely no horses.

Which of course meant I ended up with two horses and no pets. πŸ˜…

I grabbed the frame overo Welsh Cob first which was odd as it's not a pinto pattern I really love, but there was just something about him that really appealed to me. He looks like a really solid and dependable kind of horse so I'm thinking of making him a western tack set as I've only got one to share between the whole herd!

 Spares

The next thing I spotted was already in Jan's hands, a beautiful appaloosa Dressage Horse I instantly called dibs on if she decided not to keep him. It sort of became a running joke, until a little later on when he was handed to me as another pony had won her over that little bit more and he was now all mine! 
Well, if I could choose between him and the cob...

Spares

Oh come on, you know me, I've got absolutely zero self control, of course they were both coming home with me! (luckily Laura is an absolute saint when it comes to payment plans!πŸ™ˆπŸ™ŠπŸ˜…)

The first division was the Mould classes, with 'New Horse' and 'New Pony' up first.This was for the moulds that are still in production today, as opposed to the vintages that are no longer made.

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

As with previous years, votes were cast with coloured tokens in order of preference - red for favourite, blue for second favourite etc. If you're used to judging model horses based on conformation and breed standard, or even condition, then Julip shows will be something of a shock to the system as we pick our favourites on the basis of personal taste alone! Some classes are harder to judge than others though, especially the ponies!

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018


Next up were the 'Old' mould classes, for the moulds that were no longer in production and pre-recast versions.

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

As I had no vintages, I used the time to start assembling my scene class entries. I'd procrastinated far more than usual this year, (me? never!) and only started thinking about the scene class literally two days before the show, so I really threw everything together at the last minute!

Rather than the usual real horse disciplines you see at most general model horse shows, Julip shows tend to be a little more open to interpretation, and especially at this show, where the class themes change every year. This year we had some really interesting titles to inspire us...

Scenes Classes

1) Summer Fun – How do your Julips spend their Summer? Beach rides? BBQs?
2) Heroes & Villains– Show us your helpful ponies saving the day or naughty ponies causing trouble.
3) 3-Day Event – Pick any scene from a 3-day event including Dressage, Cross Country or Show Jumping.
4) No horses allowed! – A Pets only scene class

I had totally forgotten about these classes, so it was very much a case of panicking and throwing things into a pile and hoping it all made sense!

I had a moment of inspiration when I remembered the little souvenir Anubis statue I'd picked up at the local boot sale the previous week for 50p, and thought I could do something Egyptian to tie into the 'Summer Fun' class. I've always loved Ancient Egypt so I've amassed quite a few themed knick-knacks over the years. The clincher was rediscovering the plastic moulds of some wall friezes and a sarcophagus from a craft kit I had as a child - I knew then exactly what I was going to do - a souvenir/ancient relic market stall with some Arab horses walking past and a gaggle of tourists around the tables!

Lake District Live 2018

My first problem came when I remembered I didn't have any plaster to fill the moulds, only a tiny fragment of plaster bandage which wouldn't get me very far. Luckily good old papier mache came into its own, and coupled with the constant heat outside, I was able to build up a few layers in an afternoon. (I literally propped them up on a chair and sat them out in the sun to dry, lol) The wall was just card with some sand coloured wallpaper, the palm tree was a little trickier - a wooden dowel wrapped with twine and covered in hot glue with painted paper leaves. It didn't stand on its own so I propped it up with some conveniently placed carpeting! Sadly the sarcophagus didn't dry quickly enough so I had to abandon it which is a shame as I had plans to gild it and make it look all fancy!

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

Considering the literal Ark of the Covenant was sitting right at the front, I thought a suitably ironic sign was in order, complete with Arabic translation courtesy of google!

Lake District Live 2018

Considering it was pretty much thrown together at the last minute, I'm not going to lie, I think it's one of my best scene entries to date! It just goes to show that sometimes a total lack of planning and organisation can yield good results from time to time!

The Youngstock class was up next, with lots of adorable foals to ogle.

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

There is indeed a foal under there somewhere!

Lake District Live 2018

Before we knew it, it was time for the Mould Championship, so all the first and second places were put forward for final judging. My little Pit Pony, Kirkby Lostdale had clinched the second in the New Ponies class but ultimately lost out in the final to, I think it was anyway, the gorgeous bay mule Magda picked up in the Spares!

Lake District Live 2018

The Fun Division was up next, starting with Ridden Horse/Pony.

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

One of the best things about Julip showing is that you don't need really precise or expensive tack to do well. You could win with vintage leather or homemade tack just as easily as with a professionally made Rio Rondo saddle kit, it's entirely personal preference!

Next in a similar vein was 'Best Dressed Horse or Pony'

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

The 'Pairs' class is always a favourite - on the day, you have to find a twin for some of your Julips!

Lake District Live 2018
I need a CJP like these...

My new boy Ignatius (named after fire, as it felt like we were being engulfed by flame for most of the day) found his long lost brother in Magda's spare from the year before...

Lake District Live 2018

...Magnus partnered up with one of Heather's many, many Fjords...

Lake District Live 2018

...and Taliesin made friends with one of Elli's cobs.

Lake District Live 2018

 Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

The 'Happy Families' class is another good one. Most Julip foals tend to look exactly the same as both parents, (latex genetics are different to real horses, everyone knows that!) but there are the odd exceptions to the rule.

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

'Best Conga' was next.

This could be interpreted as having lots of the same species...

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

...same breed...

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018
This one is definitely on my 'To Steal' list

...or simply lots in the same mould.

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

Some people take it a little further though, and Stacey's Dartmoor Army gains more recruits every year.

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

'Most Unusual Marking' came next!

I really liked this one!

Lake District Live 2018

Trevelyan had his first outing in this class.

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

I can't remember who won the Fun Championship but Jazz qualified by coming second in the previous class.

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

I think it was lunchtime after that, and much merriment was had with the raffle and the eating of many cakes and swiftly melting chocolate.

Stacey had some amazing 3D printed jump blocks and accessories for sale which I was sorely tempted with but as I'd seriously overindulged with the ponies I ended up getting one little grooming kit box instead.

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

After lunch, the Colour section began. These classes are always super popular and difficult to judge, and this year was no exception!

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

There's always huge variation amongst the horses in terms of shade and things, just like the real thing, and if you've been collecting for long enough you can tell who painted each horse just from the way they shade dapples and paint eyes and markings!

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

My spotty newbie, (who has since been named Trevelyan after where we stayed) did rather well in the 'Spotted' class, along with Fanta!

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

After the main colour classes, came the 'Customised' one, for any Julips that have been repainted; this included 'Paint Your Own' models from previous live shows and custom HOTYs.

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

The very worthy winners of the Colour Division!

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

Finally the Scene Division was ready to be judged, and it was a difficult one this year!

First up was the 'Summer Fun' class. This one had a bit of everything, from frolicking foals at the beach...

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

...BBQs by the loch...

Lake District Live 2018

...a much needed ice cream to escape the heat...

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

...a cob going through an existential crisis...

Lake District Live 2018

...and the more traditional bringing in of the harvest.

Lake District Live 2018

In addition to my market scene, I managed to cobble together a second entry, this time using my only western tack set and some assorted bits and pieces to make a themed camping set. I was able to incorporate the fabulous tents that my friend Lucy made me and sent all the way from Australia years ago that I never quite managed to do anything with before!

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

Somehow that one got a third...

Lake District Live 2018

...and my market scene won the class!

Lake District Live 2018

I was super chuffed with this as although it was all rushed, I was still really pleased with how everything turned out!

Next was 'Heroes & Villains– Show us your helpful ponies saving the day or naughty ponies causing trouble.'

The picture of villainy, this highway robbery really stole the show!


Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

My favourite detail isn't actually intentional I think, but it looks like the bloke is trying to hide rather unsuccessfully behind his wife. XD

Lake District Live 2018

We also had a very helpful Shire rescuing a stuck emergency vehicle...

Lake District Live 2018

...poo-picking...

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

...self explanatory tiny pony attitude...

Lake District Live 2018

...and even something for the Disney fans!

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

As for my entry, I'd had an idea for something similar to this for a photostory that never got made, where some neds snuck into the yard and vandalised it, eventually being arrested and given community service which involved copious amounts of mucking out and menial yard work until they'd learned their lesson!

I never got round to making it happen in story form so I thought I might as well give it a go for a show entry, complete with angry pony!

Lake District Live 2018


Somewhat unsurprisingly, the robbery came out on top!

Lake District Live 2018

Next was the '3-Day Event – Pick any scene from a 3-day event including Dressage, Cross Country or Show Jumping'.

I did plan on doing a cross country entry but mine really was thrown together from bits and pieces and upon seeing the competition I immediately packed everything away as it didn't stand a chance!
I did however do a pretty basic showjumping setup with Digby just so I could say I entered.

Lake District Live 2018

Cross Country was obviously the favoured discipline this year!

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018



Lake District Live 2018

...but there was one token dressage entry as well!

Lake District Live 2018

Finally, one of the biggest classes: 'No horses allowed! – A Pets only scene class'

This one had loads of scope and all the entries were amazingly creative.

Mine was a pretty boring 'feeding time' kind of thing with all my bunnies and hens, but I had fun putting everything together.

Lake District Live 2018

I loved this vet's waiting room, especially the wee pupper with the cone of shame!

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

Out of all the Julip animals, I think the bunnies and guinea pigs are amongst the most popular.

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

...although there's plenty of love for all the more wild creatures too!

Lake District Live 2018

It wasn't all domesticated bliss however, some lived very different lives indeed!

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

The second of Heather's entries really cracked me up, with Julip versions of some real 'pet shaming' posts from facebook!

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018


I can't remember who won that class sadly, though they're all winners in my book!

The final section was purely for all the animals, separated by species.

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

Heather is infamous for more...interesting orders than your average pet...

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

...and her newest arrival was certainly interesting!

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

The Pet championship soon led to the final vote and the overall champs!

Lake District Live 2018

Lake District Live 2018

...and just like that, the show was over!

Most of us would be meeting up afterwards for the traditional post-show meal, so there wasn't the same outpouring of goodbyes as usual, though some couldn't make it, which was sad. :(

I packed up in good time (which for me is pretty damn good!) and was soon ushered over to Stacey's table to see her collection of Rubbernedlets! I'd only ever seen one Rubberned in person before, but ohhhh my god, I need a Sleepy Shire! It's amazing to think that they're made in exactly the same way as Julips!

Stacey's Rubbernedz

Stacey's Rubbernedz

Stacey's Rubbernedz

Stacey's Rubbernedz

Afterwards we all made our way to the Crooklands Hotel for a meal, which was delicious as always. It's a great chance to catch up with folk outside of the show itself and far nicer than just saying cheerio at the show hall.

Lake District Live 2018

Eventually the long day came to an end and we all went our separate ways. I'm tentatively hoping to be able to make it down to the next live in Oxford this year but it's still theoretical at this stage, so I said I might see some people sooner rather than later!

We were treated to another spectacular sunset to finish off the day and round off the trip.

Lake District Live 2018

This show is always good, and it's definitely got me back into a bit more of a Julippy mood, so fingers crossed I can translate that into action and actually make some things for them again soon!

So far Ignatius and Trevelyan have settled in well, having their first trip to the salon to smooth out their rather voluminous locks!

Ignatius and Trevelyan

No comments:

Post a Comment