Saturday 21 May 2016

What's on the workbench this week?

Bodies, bodies everywhere!

I've always really liked the G4 draught horse but found his back too short for my liking, soooo, he underwent a bit of spinal surgery...

WIP G4 draught custom

WIP G4 draught custom

(He's thinking with portals, obviously)

I resculpted his neck too, as I want him to be one of those super chunky European draught breeds when he's done, though I haven't decided exactly what breed. I really want him to be some shade of roan though.

I lengthened his barrel with the wire/superglue/bicarb method which I much prefer to using epoxy.

WIP G4 draught custom

WIP G4 draught custom

I've always loved the look of string/thread mane and tails, so I teased out some very fine silk floss and superglued it on. It's a little rough in places, but I'm pleased nonetheless.
I'm still debating about whether to give him feathering or not.

My second victim is a G2 TB. I've always wanted to reposition one from gallop to landing from a jump for performance, and finally took the plunge yesterday.

My resculpting skills really aren't great, and I know the shoulder muscling doesn't quite match so I may sand down the OF side and redo it so they don't look too dissimilar. I used superglue and bicarb for it all, no epoxy at all.

WIP landing stablemate custom
After and before!
WIP landing stablemate custom

WIP landing stablemate custom

She has a metal pin in her front foot so I can have her installed on a base. This initially caused some problems when I couldn't find my smallest drill-bit and had to improvise, then spent ages trying to find some clear acrylic rod only to eventually remember that it would be hidden in a base so didn't need to be transparent at all! 

Fail.

WIP landing stablemate custom

I lopped her ears and tail off and resculpted them so she looked more alert.

WIP landing stablemate custom

WIP landing stablemate custom

I can't wait to make a diorama for her - I really want to do a cross country water complex...

WIP landing stablemate custom

As of today I've started on her mane and tail - thread again, although I may have had a better idea, so I'll see how this one turns out first and then rethink if necessary.

WIP landing stablemate custom

Any idea for a colour?

No comments:

Post a Comment