Wednesday 24 September 2014

I've been sculpting some...

...medallions! :D :D :D

Highland Pony Medallion

Cob Medallion

I decided to stay up all night for the Scottish Independence Referendum and as I'd need something to quell the butterflies, I decided to do some sculpting. I've dabbled in medallions before, but the results were nothing spectacular. (the unpainted one at the bottom isn't mine, that's 'Todd' by Clare Stokes.)

 'Todd' medallion by Clare Stokes

This time round however, I'm really pleased with how they turned out. I used Super Sculpey and a variety of homemade sculpting tools, although my main tool of choice was one of these, though ironically I used the handle more than the actual tip! (and those ones on that shop are waaaaay overpriced, I bought the exact same set from 'The Works' for £3.99!)

First up was a Highland pony. I referenced the hundreds of photos I've taken at the RHS over the years so I had a good place to start.

I made a gif showing the rough process of sculpting him. :D

 photo processslower_zps301dc275.gif

Highland Pony Medallion

Highland Pony Medallion

Halfway through I did a little photoshop mockup to see what he'd look like with clothes on...

Highland Pony Medallion

...and as he looks now. :D

Highland Pony Medallion

Highland Pony Medallion

Highland Pony Medallion

Highland Pony Medallion


Then,. yesterday I fancied making him a friend...

Originally he was supposed to be a young Clydesdale, but the more I sculpted, the older and less Clydesdaley he looked so now he's just a generic and very hairy cob.

I made another gif - it looks like he's chewing at the start, lol.

 photo process_zpsc9542a82.gif

His face went through several big changes as I had to reposition his muzzle and eyes a couple of times.

Cob Medallion

Cob Medallion

Cob Medallion

His eye protrudes a lot more than I realised now he's baked but you can't really tell if you're only viewing him from the front. XD

Cob Medallion

I'm so pleased with them and was wondering if there'd be any interest if I were to cast some copies in resin? The Highland is really chunky (about 24mm at his widest point!) so he'd probably be a little more expensive but I don't really know all the ins and outs of casting things as I've only ever used the college silicone and resin!



3 comments:

  1. You should cast these Highland's for sure! They are just so adorable!
    ~CBL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome work! They look great and I love seeing the progression.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow the highland looks just like a pony I ride. Totally cast him!

    ReplyDelete