I know I'm not exactly a regular blogger, but I've been even less active recently as my computer is being incredibly slow and obstinate. (even more than usual) While there is absolutely nothing wrong with its connection to the internet (my tech savvy friend did a thing, and said so) it loads pages with all the speed of a particularly lethargic snail and so I've been favouring my phone for forum activity and so on. The other thing that's gone kaput recently is my graphics tablet - it still works, but there's no pen pressure so I can't do any decent digital art which makes me sad.
Anyway, all this time off the computer has galvinised me to do some more tackmaking!
Most of this was done a few months ago, but its testament to just how horrible the computer is to use that I've only just got pics up today.
Maris the cob got a nice squishy padded headcollar, with fleece noseband and pollguard. I didn't make her rug though, that came with another Julip a few years ago when I bought him from another collector. It's incredibly detailed and VERY well made.
Ezio has always been very jealous of all the fancy tack available at 'US Friesian Referral' so I thought I'd make him something inspired by it. The gold studs were from a nail art decoration set.
Tully models an autumnal themed headcollar, with plaited straps.
(and oh gods, how terrifying are his eyes here?! *makes mental note to repaint them*)
Echo's one isn't one of my best, but I wanted to try out a little plaited detail on the sides.
New cob Byron needed a bridle and as I hadn't made anything fancier than a snaffle for ages, I thought I'd give him a pelham. It's a bit big really, and the reins are hopefully only temporary until I get round to skiving some black leather, but it's not bad. The 'brass' on the browband is a selection of more nail art decorations.
I tried making a western saddle for my Julips yeeears ago, but the leather was too thick and looked terrible so I dismantled it in the hope that one day in the future I could do a better job! Well, the future is here, and while it's still not perfect by any means, it's a LOT better than it looked originally! I skived down the leather and did some really basic stamping for detail. The 'string' cinch was really tricky but looks pretty good in person.
Finally, I decided that my new Pit Pony, Kirkby, really needed some tack, so after scouring google in search of Shetland saddles to copy...I made something that looks completely different. XD
The stirrups are mass produced metal 'charms' and while they're far too small for Julip riders boots, they're perfect for homemade child riders. I didn't attach the girth particularly well so the saddle is a bit wobbly - I added the crupper partly because I've seen so many Shetlands with them and partly to hold the saddle on in reality! Getting his tail through it is...interesting as there's just so much of it!
Now that he was fully kitted out, all he needed was a rider to complete the Thelwell look, so I finished off a hybrid rider I'd been working on for months. She has a doll's house doll's head and forearms and her boots were nicked off a Primeval figure. The rest of her body is made entirely from wire and pipecleaners. I scraped off her original hair, which was glued on very roughly, and rehaired her with mohair. I didn't do the tidiest job (made harder as she has a hole in the middle where the original hair plug was stuck inside) but a hat hides all ills. :P I did a tiny bit of pastelling on her face to give her a little more colour and to add some faint freckles but otherwise I didn't need to do much else.
She's named herself Katie which goes rather well with her pony's name.
And now, just for the lols, here's the tiniest member of the herd with the tallest...