I was looking through one of my mangled old tack catalogues the other day, pondering over what to attempt to make next when I saw these. I'd always liked the idea of making one for a model but how to do it was another matter! Luckily I had some fluorescent yellow stretchy fabric in my supplies stash and some matching thread, so, the other night I started to make a rough pattern whilst watching repeats of Law and Order.
This, was the result. ;)
It was impossible to make it seamless like the real thing and I know the stitching is very crude here but for a first attempt it isn't all that bad...
Because the fabric is stretchy it can just be pulled over his head and does a great job of keeping his mane down which is normally a bit problematic as I haven't rehaired him yet and his synthetic hair is very err...rebellious to put it one way. XD
I made another which ended up being a little neat on Harper, so Magic the Magpie arab got to wear it instead. It's a little long on his face so I'll need to trim it a bit. This one was stitched up the face and down the neck instead of just around the throat.
I've still got plenty of stripey rainbow fabric left over from making Jazz's rug so I think I'll be making her's next.