Whilst binge watching Critical Role again last night, it hit me that I still hadn't got round to making Max and Juno a desk or table for their living room. (I still need to remake the sofa, but it'll do for now.)
I wasn't in the mood for any proper woodworking, so I had a rummage and a quick browse of Pinterest for inspiration and hit on the perfect combo. I've been trying to go for a sort of industrial/shabby chic look with the furnishings, and I really liked the look of old reclaimed metal and wood for furniture.
I'd bought this novelty connecting 'pipe' drinking straw set years ago as I thought it had potential, and well, I was right!
I realised a few weeks ago that I never actually showed the progress of my final NaMoPaiMo horse - Hamlet the hogged show cob!
I finally settled on a pattern...
...and then totally forgot to update on his progress! XD
I went from primed to complete in only a couple of days - one of the benefits of black pintos is that you can get away without a lot of complicated shading!
I blocked out the markings in black acrylic, then added in some mapping. Shading was added with pastels and coloured pencils - those especially came in handy on the hooves.
I always make a point of dirtying up the feet a bit, as even with the best will in the world and a ton of cleaning products, no horse ever has absolutely perfectly white legs unless they're never allowed outside.
I started making him a tack set almost as soon as he was finished - the same night, if I remember correctly.
I'm confident enough with the saddles but the bridles are something else entirely at that scale!
As a result I cheated hugely with the bridle as I absolutely loathe strapwork, so the buckles are only painted on and it's split at the crown so it all goes on/off in one piece. It isn't brilliant and in an ideal world I'd like to do it again but I'm not really ready to attempt it again so it'll have to do for now.
I gave him a photoshoot the other day but the lighting was terrible and makes him look much 'colder' than he really is. The WIP pictures above are closest to his actual colour.
In preparation for his ridden career I'd been customising an old Britains rider off and on for a few months. He had a flat cap transformed into a helmet and had most of his inside leg removed and reshaped so he'd sit properly, as well as having his arms resculpted. He needs a skoosh of dullcote to take away the gloss but I think he'll do!
Because of my love of puns and cobs, I decided to name him 'EA Incobnito' as he went under the radar for a bit!
As per usual I've been procrastinating and although I've rather a lot to blog about, I kinda...haven't, so apologies for that!
One thing which has got me back in the mood for posting about things this week however is the lovely box of goodies I got in the post from Barbara/Willowisp on Blab as part of that forum's traditional 'Spring Swap'.