Progress has been made on all fronts however, and some are getting closer and closer to completion!
After another couple of pastel layers, the Shetland had his markings outlined, which is one of the most tedious, yet fulfilling parts of doing pintos.
I always love this stage, as the coloured areas really start to pop, even with just the basic outlines done!
I like to 'flick' the tip of the brush outwards when doing mapping and the edge of markings. It's especially effective on models like this with sculpted hair texture.
He still needs a few more white layers before I can start on the details and finish off the mane and tail, but the end is on the horizon!
Another skewbald on the workbench is this little Britains Shire resculpt, who's been knocking around for ever, so I gave her some white layers today. Her mane and tail are made of teased out thread, and true to form I prefer her offside to her ideally more photogenic left side. Her buckskin areas are pastel on an acrylic basecoat.
Whoops, I appear to have added yet another pony to the NaMoPaiMo madness! (In truth I started painting her months ago but it didn't work, so I had to sand her back and start again)
Her prepping isn't particularly good, but I'm really pleased with her resculpted mane and her colouring is turning out well so she'll be added to the showstring regardless, even if it's just for photo shows.
Yet another WIP is this resculpted Schleich Teke who's been sitting forlornly on my windowsill for months as well, and I decided the time had come to continue with him. I've used metallic paint on models before but I'm trying out some metallic eyeshadow over acrylics this time to get that distinctive Akhal Teke sheen!
It was going really well until I started shading the head with pastels and it ended up really dark, so he's going to have to end up either a very sooty buckskin or possibly even darker than that. This is especially annoying as I already have a dark smutty buckskin Teke custom on the same mould and I was hoping that this one would turn out very different!
As you can see lurking in the background there, my Highland is nearly finished!
After a minor mishap involving still wet sealer, where I accidentally touched his leg and took off several layers of pastel and primer, he's well on his way to being finished. Luckily it was an easy touch up, and I'm just glad it was there and not on his body!
His body colour is more or less finished I think - this particular shade of dun isn't nearly as 'shaded' as a lot of artists portray, and it actually looks rather flat on the real ponies quite a lot of the time.
I added in some off-white feathering and frosting to his mane and tail using a super-fine brush, then blended it in a bit more with a couple of layers of pastel.
The paint on matte sealer was still damp here,so it looks like there's more white in his mane than there actually is.
He needs a little more work on his legs, then I've just got his primitive markings, hooves and eyes to do.
Going back to my mention of a super fine brush earlier, let me show you which ones I mean!
I ordered up a set of nail art brushes a while ago from 'Born Pretty' (which is a fantastic place to get cheap nail art stuff from btw, even if it does take forever to arrive from China! I got Max and Juno's tattoos from there as well - nail decals!) and they arrived a couple of days ago. They're super fine and therefore perfect for painting equally tiny ponies! I used the third one from the left for the frosting on the Highland's mane and tail.
So that's where I am right now! As you can see I may have bitten off more than I can chew with the amount of customs I now have on the go but hey, it's better than nothing! XD