Tuesday 3 May 2016

Copperfox Cadno - Matte and GLOSSY versions!

As you'll have no doubt seen in my previous post, I was lucky enough to win the Reserve Championship at the Copperfox Tour in Scotland yesterday, the main prize for which was a gorgeous glossy version of the regular run, Cadno.

Seeing as I'd bought the matte version that day, I thought it would be nice to compare the two, as well as giving non Copperfox owners a good look at the new models and the boxes they come in.

First of all, I just want to say that I'm going to be more critical of these models than I normally would be as I know there are a lot of serious showers who are very particular about flaws and things which I personally wouldn't see as problematic, but I thought that I'd try to show them off as honestly as I could so people who don't have the opportunity to see them in person before they buy can get a good look at them.

I absolutely LOVE the models I got, and honestly don't see their problems as, well, 'problems' but then I don't show very often so its all relative really. We also have to take into account that this is a brand new company and its obvious that they are constantly improving on quality so people ought not to be as harsh about them as I've seen some people being on forums.

Anyway, now that's out of the way, on to the review!

----

We'll begin with the first thing you see upon buying a Copperfox - the box!

Copperfox Cadno unboxing

It's made of very sturdy cardboard with a Union Flag pattern over the top and sides. (the bottom is plain blue)

Copperfox Cadno unboxing

The mould number(?) and release name are on stickers, although my prize came in an unstickered box. The name and logo are picked out in metallic copper on the lid, which is such a lovely touch and really screams out quality.

Copperfox Cadno unboxing

Inside, the first thing you see is the 'welcome pack' for want of a better phrase.

Copperfox Cadno unboxing

Copperfox Cadno unboxing

Inside is a letter from Becky...

Copperfox Cadno unboxing

...a certificate of authenticity...

Copperfox Cadno unboxing

Copperfox Cadno unboxing

...a photo/info card of the model inside...

Copperfox Cadno unboxing

Copperfox Cadno unboxing

...and finally, the 2016 Copperfox catalogue! (there were more pages but I only took a couple of photos)

Copperfox Cadno unboxing

Copperfox Cadno unboxing

Copperfox Cadno unboxing

With all that out of the way, you're met with an empty box.

Copperfox Cadno unboxing

Heh, only kidding!

Copperfox Cadno unboxing

A thin sheet of foam covers the occupant, who is comfortably nestled in nearly three inches of pre-cut foam.

Copperfox Cadno unboxing

Copperfox Cadno unboxing

Underneath the horse is an identical cutout...

Copperfox Cadno unboxing

...and underneath that and the thick piece is yet another thin sheet - there is absolutely no way your pony is getting damaged in there!

Copperfox Cadno unboxing


The glossy prize model came with this rather than all the other trimmings.

Copperfox Cadno unboxing

Copperfox Cadno unboxing

I'm assuming that means there are exactly 9 glossy Cadnos in existence as I know that there are at least two of the glossy Marbles, both of whom were prizes.

Now, onto the bit you've all been waiting for - the ponies!

First up, the matte. (please bear in mind that I'm using a macro lens on my camera which picks up every infinitesimal speck of dust and detail so things look rougher than they are in reality!)

Right off the bat, the colour is spectacular, especially in the sunlight.

 Copperfox Cadno

Copperfox Cadno

Overall the finish is excellent - he feels more like a Stone than a Breyer, with that slightly grainy texture, though grainy makes it sound rough, it isn't rough, but it's not totally smooth either...

(very clear, Christine, very clear)

The facial shading is lovely, and I really like that they've gone for handpainted manes and tails rather than airbrushed as it looks so much better and immediately avoids the issue of overspray.

Copperfox Cadno

Copperfox Cadno (matte RR)

The eyes are, as I said in the previous post, probably the best I've seen in an OF - the attention to detail is fantastic, and I count at least five different colours used.

Copperfox Cadno (matte RR)

Copperfox Cadno (matte RR)
There's a tiny bit of overpainting on the eyelid there but I literally
only noticed it when I uploaded the pics.
Copperfox Cadno

Copperfox Cadno

The only thing I'm not fond of is that blue dot in the middle. I see why its there, but I just think the colour's not quite right, and a darker blue would work much better for depth. I did a little photoshop job to illustrate my idea.

Copperfox Cadno (matte RR)Copperfox Cadno (matte RR)

The markings are great too - all handpainted as far as I can see, and generally very neatly done too.

Copperfox Cadno (matte RR)

Copperfox Cadno (matte RR)

Cadno only has one sock and a star so there isn't really much to judge!

Copperfox Cadno (matte RR)

I think the hooves are painted first, then masked off and the socks added, as there's a slightly rough edge to the bottom of the marking where the paint has been stopped by something. It's a really good idea though, and I absolutely love the depth of shading on each hoof!

On one side of that sock there was a bit of pooling but it really wasn't noticeable unless you were actively looking for issues.

Copperfox Cadno (matte RR)


Copperfox Cadno
(those blobs are water - the rain was on its way whilst I was photographing them and the grass was wet!)

The un-socked feet had a couple of tiny paint issues, though very minor and again, most were not obvious unless you were actively looking for them.

Copperfox Cadno (matte RR)

Copperfox Cadno (matte RR)

Copperfox Cadno (matte RR)

Copperfox Cadno (matte RR)

 Generally they were very nice however, and it was so nice to see such detail in a regular run.

Copperfox Cadno
That yellow bit is a piece of grass btw

The chestnuts were all very neatly painted, though one or two didn't cover the entirety of the sculpted part, and I'd have liked to see them a couple of shades darker if it were up to me.

Copperfox Cadno (matte RR)

The Copperfox logo is located on the inner back leg, and the air hole to prevent bloating is tucked up right above it - its very discreet and a far cry from the awfully conspicuous nose and mouth ones Stone and Breyer use!

Copperfox Cadno (matte RR)

As far as rough seams went, I was really struggling to find any! There were a couple of subtle ones on the face but honestly, the worst was this slightly rough bit on the ears and a small one on one of his forelegs.

Copperfox Cadno (matte RR)

Copperfox Cadno (matte RR)

Copperfox Cadno


All in all I think he's stunning, and considering how new the company is, I think it's remarkable just how high quality these models are. I know some people might find a couple of blobby socks a turn off but really, if you do, you're missing out on a truly stunning horse.

Now, time for the glossy!

I must preface this by saying that I've never really been a huge fan of them in general as although the gloss does tend to bring out the shading more, they're a pain in the arse to photograph and don't look as realistic unless you're showing your horse in the rain.

That said...I really like this one.

Copperfox Cadno

Copperfox Cadno

The gloss is even and consistant throughout, and although obviously very shiny, it isn't that kind of super reflective gloss I've come to associate with Stones for instance.

Copperfox Cadno

 It feels lovely too, not super smooth but not as 'rough' as the matte either, just a really tactile sort of softness.

Copperfox Cadno

Copperfox Cadno

This next shot makes me think of thoroughbreds being hosed down after a race. XD

Copperfox Cadno

Copperfox Cadno



Copperfox Cadno


Copperfox Cadno


 I feel the blue dot in the eyes spoils it somewhat here, as the gloss  somehow draws your eye to it more than it did in the matte.


Copperfox Cadno (glossy Reserve Champion prize)


I think the left eye has been airbrushed a little too.
Copperfox Cadno (glossy Reserve Champion prize)


 You'll probably notice a lot of bits of fluff in these photos but none are actually stuck in the gloss, it's just sitting on the surface and I didn't notice them until afterwards. After hearing so many horror stories about people's Stone models coming back with big bits of dust and brush bristles stuck in the gloss I was expecting the worst but I'm pleased to say the only gloss related flaws I could find were a couple of bits of fluff on the star, which, granted, is a really annoying place to get it.


Copperfox Cadno (glossy Reserve Champion prize)


Copperfox Cadno (glossy Reserve Champion prize)

Copperfox Cadno (glossy Reserve Champion prize)

Copperfox Cadno (glossy Reserve Champion prize)

I think the gloss does hide the flaws more than the matte, but really, the worst thing that stuck out to me was the slightly wonky front hoof.

Copperfox Cadno (glossy Reserve Champion prize)

...which looks absolutely fine from the other side.

Copperfox Cadno (glossy Reserve Champion prize)

The socked foot had a couple of wee specks of dust in the paint...

Copperfox Cadno (glossy Reserve Champion prize)

...and the others had minor paint issues...

Copperfox Cadno (glossy Reserve Champion prize)

Copperfox Cadno (glossy Reserve Champion prize)

...but really, I wouldn't have noticed them if I wasn't making such an effort to critique!

Copperfox Cadno

The rain was starting so I didn't get many more photos unfortunately, though I've learned that the front step has the best light for photographing trads... XD

Copperfox Cadno

Copperfox Cadno

Copperfox Cadno

Copperfox Cadno


So yeah, I absolutely love them!

I think overall I prefer the matte for realism's sake but I love the glossy significantly more than I thought I would, and I can now see why people wax lyrical about glossies, haha!

If you're thinking about getting a Copperfox but aren't sure, please, please do, they're gorgeous!

Its incredible just how much the quality has improved since the Kickstarter run and I can't wait to see what's next!

For reference, -here- are my other two CFs, from the initial run for 'Founding Fox' Kickstarter backers.



3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing! I pre-ordered a Cadno and am so glad I did- she looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! That gloss is especially AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I came late to the party and missed out on the Cadno and Lakeview Knight...but bought Marble...my Marble was the second from last sold, and I was worried that she might be faulty as so many people 'hand pick' models at shows...but she was fine, better than others Iv'e seen....bought the Cadno second hand and she is winging her way here..... love the Connemara mould. I agree with the blue dot in the eyes?....I wondered if they were transfers? or are they all slightly different?

    ReplyDelete