Post 5 of my Copperfox 10 Day Challenge.
Day 5: Create something for your models or try a new skill
The model horse hobby is full of things to create both for your models or using your models. Today's the day to be brave and have a go at creating that jump for your models or to have a go at painting your horses hooves.
I've been procrastinating again, apologies! I knew I'd never manage to do consecutive posts for this but I did hope I'd manage to get them all done in a reasonable amount of time! (For some reason this post accidentally submitted itself before I'd even finished writing it, so apologies if you clicked on it earlier and wondered why there was nothing there!)
To my credit, I've been struck down with the lurgy this week and spent most of yesterday in bed as my entire body felt choked up, heavy and just bleurghhhhhh in general. I still feel pretty rotten but the show must go on as they say!
I haven't made a lot recently, but I have two commissioned Schleich scale dioramas to start on soon, as well as some miniature flowers for someone else, in addition to a super secret project that has a swiftly looming deadline!
I always find time for minis though, especially as I've been really getting into the super tiny ones, intended for model railways and the like. They're expensive for their size, but incredibly detailed and depending on the manufacturer you can get some in a variety of shapes, sizes and poses which makes for some good performance prospects.
Compared to Breyer Mini Whinnies they're positively minuscule, but just look at the difference in sculpting!
Some of them have sculpted on tack which is both a blessing and a curse because there's no way I'd be able to make anything that small, but at the same time, sometimes I'd have preferred them without any.
Most people don't like painting micros because of their size but I love the challenge, especially as a good camera will pick up EVERY detail.
This one was done with acrylics and pastels.
I went to a model railway show the other day (which my next post will be about, hopefully) and came away with a selection of new minis.
The shetlands were about a tenner, which, being the cheapskate that I am, I was loathe to pay, but come on, how often do you see micro mini ponies?!
They'll all be customised,and I'm hoping to show some at the Copperfox tour live show in a couple of months. In light of this, I've been working on a few dioramas...
I found a really nicely shaped bottle lid the other day and knew it had the potential to be something more interesting, so I turned it into a beach one afternoon.
I'm actually customising this horse and rider combo at the moment, but this is how they looked in their original finish. The riders are removable, which is SO handy.
I've also been working on a cross country water jump. Alas, I accidentally mucked up the water after these photos were taken (I put on another layer and smudged it before it was fully dry! D:) so I've had to take the water off it and start again which is a pain.
Hopefully I'll get it looking more respectable soon, I'm really pleased with it otherwise!